City Releases Laquan McDonald Shooting Video

The Chicago Police Department on Tuesday released the dash-cam video depicting the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald by police officer Jason Van Dyke, who shot the African-American teen 16 times on Oct. 20, 2014.

Jason Van DykeJason Van Dyke The video's release comes hours after Van Dyke was charged with first-degree murder by Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez, who acknowledged that a Cook County judge’s ruling that the video be released by Wednesday factored into her decision.

At a news conference, Alvarez said: "While we would have preferred for the investigation to have run its full course and enabled our federal partners to complete their evaluation in its entirety, I felt compelled, in the interest of public safety, to announce these state charges today."

Last week, Cook County Judge Franklin Valderrama ruled the video showing the shooting death of McDonald be released. Requests for the video's release were initially made by freelance reporter Brandon Smith under the Freedom of Information Act. Smith's request and others subsequently filed were denied.

McDonald's autopsy showed he was shot 16 times, including in his back. He was said to be carrying a knife, to have slashed the tires of a police car and to have had the drug PCP in his system.

[Attorney of Officer Van Dyke Addresses Shooting Video of Laquan McDonald]

The city of Chicago quickly settled with McDonald’s family for $5 million, before civil charges were filed. 

“Don’t resort to violence in Laquan’s name. Let his legacy be better than that.”

–McDonald family statement


Call for calm

Attorneys for the McDonald family issued a statement Tuesday on behalf of the family, which is calling for calm in Chicago.

"We [the family of Laquan McDonald] deeply appreciate the outpouring of love and support for Laquan. This is a difficult time for us. As we have said in the past, while we would prefer that the video not be released we understand that a court has ordered otherwise.

"We ask for calm in Chicago. No one understands the anger more than us but if you choose to speak out, we urge you to be peaceful. Don’t resort to violence in Laquan’s name. Let his legacy be better than that."

In an interview Tuesday afternoon with "Chicago Tonight," Rev. Michael Pfleger, pastor of St. Sabina Church in the Auburn Gresham neighborhood, echoed this sentiment.

"I believe in protests," he said. "I believe in sit downs and sit-ins, and boycotts. I believe in civil disobedience. I do not believe in violence. It is never an acceptable response. I’m a disciple of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and [he said] if we resort to violence, than you become just like the perpetrators."


Related 'Chicago Tonight' stories

Chicago Police Officer Involved in Laquan McDonald Shooting Charged with Murder

Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez charges Chicago police officer Jason Van Dyke with first-degree murder in the fatal shooting of Laquan McDonald. 


Ministers and Community Activists Respond to Decision to Charge CPD Officer with Murder

We talk with activists and faith leaders about the decision to charge the officer involved in the fatal shooting of Laquan McDonald with first-degree murder and what reaction they expect from their community at large.


Chicago Prepares for Release of Controversial Police Shooting Video

The city is bracing for the release of a potentially damning video that is purported to show a white police officer shooting African-American teenager Laquan McDonald 16 times and killing him.


Understanding Police Shooting Investigations

The city of Chicago will release video this week showing a police officer shooting a teenager. We take a closer at look at the sometimes lengthy process of investigating police shootings.


City Will Release Laquan McDonald Police Shooting Video

Chicago officials are bracing for the release of a controversial video purported to show a white police officer shooting 17-year-old Laquan McDonald, an African-American, 16 times and killing him.


McDonald Family Attorney, Journalist React to Judge's Ruling on Controversial Police Video

We talk with the freelance journalist who sued the city for the video and one of the attorneys representing the McDonald family during settlement talks with the city.


Laquan McDonald Police Video Release Stirs Mixed Reactions

We hear from two members of the black community as a Cook County judge orders the release of dashboard video footage of the fatal police shooting of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald.


File Attachments: